The funeral service for Prince Philip, the husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth, will be held on 17 April, Buckingham Palace said on Saturday, confirming that Prince Harry was planning to attend.
The service for Philip, who died aged 99 on Friday, will be held at St George’s Chapel in Windsor castle, preceded by a national minute’s silence. There will be no public access nor public procession beforehand.
The number of mourners will be limited to 30, with Buckingham Palace stressing that the service will be held in line with COVID-19 restrictions, meaning members of the royal family including the queen would be expected to wear a mask.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman confirmed that Harry, who has moved to Los Angeles after giving up royal duties, was planning to attend the funeral, but his pregnant wife Meghan had been advised not to travel by her physician.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will also not attend the funeral to make space for as many family members as possible under pandemic rules, his Downing Street office said in a statement.
“As a result of the Coronavirus regulations, only 30 people can attend the funeral of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh,” the statement said.
“The prime minister has throughout wanted to act in accordance with what is best for the royal household, and so to allow for as many family members as possible will not be attending the funeral on Saturday.”