Merchandiser is the Bridge between Buyer & Exporter. He is the responsible from order analysis to shipment. So Merchandising is the very valuable department in the Apparel Industry.
Merchandising is the department which mediates marketing and production departments. Some times, merchandising department will have to do costing and pricing also. In any case, the merchandiser is the person whose responsibility is to execute the orders perfectly as per the costing and pricing.
Responsibilities of Merchandiser:
Following are the main responsibilities of merchandisers.
- Internal & external communication,
- Lab dips,
- Accessories & trims,
- Preparing internal order sheets,
- Preparing purchase orders,
- Advising and assisting production,
- Advising quality department about quality level,
- Mediating production and quality departments,
- Giving shipping instructions and following shipping,
- Helping documentation department,
- Taking responsibility for inspections and
- Following shipment.
Internal & External Communication:
Earlier, we had seen the importance of communication with buyers. By the same way, internal communication is also very much valuable. As the other departments will follow the instructions given by the merchandising department, they have very high value. Other departments don’t know the buyer’s instructions; they know only the merchandising department’s instructions. So it is the sole responsibility of merchandising department to instruct other departments the specifications and instructions of buyer’s orders clearly.